Part of the original structure, the Parlor dates to 1860 and reflects the late Victorian influence of the period. The Parlor’s furnishings are Victorian as well, with the intricately-carved mahogany tilt-top table in the center of the room; characteristic of the era.
Originally, the Parlor floors were constructed of virgin pine, a wood preferred for its hardness and pleasing pattern. During the home’s restoration, the flooring was replaced by virgin pine obtained from another structure built at the turn-of-the-century.
The Parlor’s casement windows are one-quarter-inch glazed beveled glass. Window coverings, similar to those shown in a 1902 photograph, are of “Rosini” lace imported from Germany. The window cornices and wall mirrors are gold-metal leaf. The mirrors are arranged to give the illusion of a never-ending reflection.
The plaster cornice and ceiling medallion were items added by Erhard Guenther. The gas chandelier was festooned with crystal as it is today. Wall and upholstery colors match the original furnishings, reflecting the decor styles of the late 1800’s.
Upholstered furniture was made with elaborate cord, fringe and tassel trim. The serpentine-tufted sofa, re-upholstered in a willow-green brocade with a dragon motif, reflects the style of the 1870’s. Two armless balloon-back chairs and an armless lady’s chair are upholstered in a Scalamandrè empire silk.
The original piano was made in Stuttgart, Germany. The Turkish rug, circa 1920, is a “Sparta” pattern with burgundy background and ivory and green tracery running throughout. Portraits of Erhard and Lottie Harnisch Guenther hang in the parlor.
Sunday - Saturday | 7am - 3pm
Breakfast Served from open to closed.
San Antonio River Mill Store
Monday - Saturday | 8am - 4pm
Sunday | 8am - 3pm